Skip to main content

B is for A Short Narrative

I heard a panting in the rain. 
Just as I was about to close the door to this episode I heard, "wait, wait".
It was my basest self seeking shelter from the elements. I let out a groan but still I held the door open for his drenched frame.
"Thanks." He panted some
"Mm." I said. "Just don't touch anything. I cleaned today." 
He nodded, still trying to catch his breath as he eased all the more into the suede sofa of mine.
"Great!" I thought, "Now my chair will smell like day old regret."
"I'll get a towel."
"Some scotch would be better."

If I had left him in the rain, he'd have pneumonia'd and died and that would have been the end of it. Now my kindness implores me to accede to his request. I brought him tea. He brought me a cold; sneezing in my chair.
"You should get out of those clothes."
The smile on his face said his mind churned rancid.
"Fine! Die then. I'm off to bed. There's fresh linen in the guest room. When the storm passes, let yourself out." 
"You's a real ol' dog you know." he said accusingly, "If it wasn't for me, you wouldn't know you could be a god."
"If it wasn't for you," I countered, turning to him, "I would have known sooner."

Silence fell between us. My tight lips. His wet head dripping in shame.
"You... you have any Vicks?"
"On the bed head in the guest room."
"Thanks."
"And again -"
"Yeah I know."
"Good."
"Good night me."
"Good night you."

11:11:11 
Tracy j Hutchings ©


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

W.A.T. PRESENTS: Till The Tank Runs Dry

A few shots on the road. Stock video. Free library music. And a narration by Ayodhya Ouditt. Here's a short piece of something, "Till The Tank Runs Dry" [because with no budget comes great responsibility]. Take it in. Be Well. #wearetracy #wearetracyfilms

B is for SideBar

i was going to talk about morality today. as in "whose morality do you subscribe to?" it was going to be deep if i say so myself. however, instead i will speak about requisitioning wombs . yes that's right... wombs . i was having a conversation with a girl who [i admit] i still go gaga over [cue the "paparazzi" audio clip]. we were talking about how stupid humanity had become and whether there was a point to saving them. "saving" in the sense of helping-them-expand-their-mental-space-just-a-smidgen-more kind of saving. she believed this exercise was futile and proclaimed that instead of trying to save this "dead-out" (my term not hers) generation, she was going to have kids. a means of passing on valuable information about culture and forward thinking and such. i laughed of course but she had a real point. i too have felt that this current landscape is all... dead-out, but never really saw procreation as a means of rebooting the system if...

JUSTICE LEAGUE SPOILER-FREE ISH REVIEW!