Skip to main content

B is for True Believer

“You ever thought of getting a trial separation from God?”
The question was unexpected given the nature of the evening but I immediately knew exactly where he was going with it. Nevertheless, I played along.
Why?”
“Maybe, so you can see other people.”
He was starting to sound like the American TV drama we were watching. Drama is relative; more like a soap opera.
“That’ll never work.” I said
“Yes. I forgot. Jesus is the only boy you could be in a long term relationship with. Irony abounds.”
I shot him a dirty look. It would have been more powerful if I had long flowing locks. And was Farrah Fawcett.
“What. Don’t give me that ‘Satan-be-gone’ look. I’m serious.”

I stopped pouring the Pringles and turned to him proper.

“HE is not the problem. That’s not…” three pages of retort swam in my head with no actual direction. “And that’s not irony okay that’s….” still, no actual direction. I graduated top of my class in English Language and Lit; I can debate the merits of everything; I live for philosophy…. I have no idea what to say next. “Can’t we just watch the damn marathon in peace?” I whispered.

He took the bowl back to the sofa with all the other heartburn inducing foods. I wiped my hands free of the Pringles for maybe five minutes. The Pringles was fine. I wasn’t.
“You’re not happy.” He said
 “Well it’s not because of HIM,” I rolled my eyes to Heaven, “or… them.” arms outstretched to the world.
“I’m not happy because I’m not happy. I’m twenty-six, I’m allowed.”
It was his turn to roll his eyes; accompanied by a long, laborious sigh.
A woman has just been wheeled into the E.R. A steel spike has gone through her leg and blood is everywhere. Doctors are scrambling because she is anemic. All eyes are glued to the screen but I know our conversation is nowhere near over. God bless DVR.

“It’s just that…. Look honestly, I’m not a true believer.”
“A what?” he almost choked on his Pilsner (he drinks Pilsner. I couldn't script this even if I tried)
“A true believer. I mean, I could turn this on and off anytime I wanted to. And right now I… off. So…”
He arched himself on the couch in full interrogator mode.

“Milan.”
“Fleeting.”
“Eon.”
“For all of FIVE minutes, dude.”
“Reggie.”
“I had a crush on him in lower six; except he was a very skinny Indian girl so... no.”
“Okay.” He set himself up for a kill and with a sardonic smile said, “Merlyn”
Merlyn was the shatter point. Merlyn was the reason I knew, nothing made sense. Not this life, not the next, not anything. His actual name wasn’t Merlyn, we just called him that because… well, he had magic in his tongue.
“Merlyn is proof. I’m not a true believer. I just… live for fleeting moments.” I chuckled sadly. Strains of George Michael’s ‘Fast Love’ floats in my mind. There are days I hate my brain.
He reached over, placed his hand on my shoulder and said, “Freelancers welcomed.”
Now some doctor just walked in on two other doctors in a supply closet. We laughed. This always happens in this show and it’s always funny that the each new character always seems surprised that people need to come and go in the sex supply closet. People are funny.

“And what does Religion have to do with anything? You know me better than that.”
He said nothing for a while.
“There’s this party. A house party in the West. Next Thursday night I think. You coming?”
“No, I got choir practice, Thursday.”
“Right.”

He reached for another Pilsner. 

[Thus ends the trilogy]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

B is for Loving Boys

90's boy love - Joey n Chandler.... a moment of randomness between Catharsis videos There are boys I love . And they love me. And we’re open about it. Just last Saturday I got a text message from one of those boys who said “I love you too man” in response to something I said. My boys are artists, artistes, atheists, and agirl (who is in fact one of the boys so hence the addition to the category) fathers, brothers and high school musicals (Jed and Umar will get that one – lol). We share ideas, music, random nothingness and Brent Worthington . We approve, reprove and listen to each other. I think the girl that I end up with must in fact be like the boys I love. Good looks aside… please… have some substance. One of my boys is appalled that I watched Gossip Girl (if you’re going to bash it… know what it is first) and has for this [and other minor reasons] jokingly labeled me a homosexual. But he who looks like Miley Cyrus with rainbow bandanas should not talk [chuckles]. I love my

JUSTICE LEAGUE SPOILER-FREE ISH REVIEW!

W.A.T. PRESENTS: Till The Tank Runs Dry

A few shots on the road. Stock video. Free library music. And a narration by Ayodhya Ouditt. Here's a short piece of something, "Till The Tank Runs Dry" [because with no budget comes great responsibility]. Take it in. Be Well. #wearetracy #wearetracyfilms